Purpose of study
Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
The curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Key Stage 3
Pupils are taught to develop their creativity and ideas, and increase proficiency in their execution. They develop a critical understanding of artists, architects and designers, expressing reasoned judgements that can inform their own work.
Pupils are taught:
- to use a range of techniques to record their observations in sketchbooks and other media as a basis for exploring their ideas
- to use a range of techniques and media, including painting
- to increase their proficiency in the handling of different materials
- to analyse and evaluate their own work, and that of others, in order to strengthen the visual impact or applications of their work
- about the history of art, craft, design and architecture, including periods, styles and major movements from ancient times up to the present day.
Key Stage 3 Schemes of Work
- Formal Elements
- Bugs, Insects and Mini Beasts
- Natural Forms
- Pop Art
Key Stage 4 – GCSE Art and Design
It is designed to encourage learners to develop knowledge, skills, and understanding along with creativity and imagination. Learners show this through their responses to a range of visual and written stimuli.
The course provides an opportunity for learners to take a personal interest in why Art and Design matters and to be inspired and changed by studying an exciting and stimulating course of study. Learners have the opportunity to gain insight into the practices of individuals, organisations and creative and cultural industries.
It provides an opportunity for learners to experiment and take risks with their work whilst developing their own style.
Aims and Learning Outcomes
- actively engage in the creative process of art, craft and design in order to develop as effective and independent learners best swiss replica watches, and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds
- develop creative, imaginative and intuitive capabilities when exploring and making images, artefacts and products
- become confident in taking risks and learn from experience when exploring and experimenting with ideas, processes, media, materials and techniques
- develop critical understanding through investigative, analytical, experimental, practical, technical and expressive skills
- develop and refine ideas and proposals, personal outcomes or solutions with increasing independence
- acquire and develop technical skills through working with a broad range of media, materials, techniques, processes and technologies with purpose and intent
- develop knowledge and understanding of art, craft and design in historical and contemporary contexts, societies and cultures
- develop an awareness of the different roles and individual work practices evident in the production of art, craft and design in the creative and cultural industries
- develop an awareness of the purposes, intentions and functions of art, craft and design in a variety of contexts and as appropriate to learners’ own work
- demonstrate safe working practices in art, craft and design.
Students will complete one portfolio project worth 60% of their final grade
Students will complete one set task/ exam project worth 40% of their final grade